.

Friday, September 4, 2009

Day 1 at Maison et Objet - the outdoor stuff....

Whew! That was an exhausting first day at the show. But before I go on I must apologize, again, for my lack of photo documentation. Lame, I know, but we are a little technologically challenged with getting the photos posted thing at the moment. The connection we have here takes forever and then freezes up while trying to download and blah, blah, blah. So I give up!

Anyhoo.....we started off in the outdoor section where I needed to visit with a bunch of my vendors, www.EMU.it, www.fermobusa.com, www.lafumausa.com and to meet with some new ones, Sywawa, Freek, Blofield. EMU had a stunning booth, as usual - lots of white wire and powdercoat - very Italian design. Some of the new dining tables are really fantastic. At Fermob they have tons of new stuff including a small bistro slatted deck chair - like a steamer chaise really, as well as a few new seat belt pieces - chaise, lounge and dining chairs by Andree Putman - quite a coup for them - ANDREE PUTMAN! She is soooooo cool and the new collection is called Inside Out. Near and dear to my own heart.....

La Fuma is putting together a striped beach chair collection that is so colorful and fun that it really reminds me of Toile du Soliel's fabric line Perfect for next summer.
On to the new...... Last year I saw three new lines that I had to think about a bit and now I am ready to move.
www.freek.nl produces a line of astro turf-is, but way cooler, shag-ish rugs for outdoors in unbelievable colors and stripes. Perfect to put under a blow up, outdoor chesterfield sofa by www.blofield.com in orange. Seriously, a blow up sofa, made out of outdoor safe, UV safe material in fun colors! It even comes with its own pump. I think I will put one in my own garden! Then I visited with Pierre of www.sywawa.be.com and placed an order for the coolest garden parasols I have ever seen. The Shady Lace is a white umbrella that is laser cut to resemble leaves and lace in a slightly cut out way. It is incredibly beautiful and the shadowing effect you get with it is an extra bonus. It come is kelly green as well and I am so excited to be getting this in for spring! Their coolest product, by far, though is the Frou Frou Parasol. It is hard to explain, but it looks like a Mexican palapa collided in a big way with a hula dancer. Google it. Dear God! I think I will order just one to start and maybe put it in my backyard and show it to clients. OK, I know what you are thinking. "Your back yard must be full". Yes, yes it is. But it is super cool and one of the great advantages to being a designer is getting to be design fickle and try out new stuff and get rid of old stuff. It is so much fun!

While continuing to wander the aisles of the outdoor section, we stumbled across another new line that I HAVE TO HAVE. It is TOTALLY different from everything else being show and it truly is one of the most beautiful lines I have ever seen. Even though most of the outdoor stuff being shown at market has been leaning toward the contemporary or modern, www.massant.com has the most beautiful, classic and well thought out line I have seen. When you look at this line, it would never even occur to you that these pieces are intended of the outdoors. Beautiful Louis XV carved teak chairs with outdoor fabrics. They will even do COM. YIPPEE! Regency armchairs, a Louis XVI settee, a Victorian bamboo caned canape, a parquet topped dining table. So completely unexpected and so beautiful!! Their booth was also so simple, yet beautiful with a living wall of white hebes to see off the beautiful furniture.
I can't wait to pour through the catalog and decide what to order for spring!! So many choices! I am so happy we get to come to these markets and just stare at things. It is so inspiring. I'm a lucky girl.
That being said, I gotta go, I am also a late girl and have to head out for day # 2. Get me some coffee.....and a croissant! Au bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

IF YOU WOULD PREFER TO NOT HAVE MUSIC PLAY DURING YOUR VISIT, PLEASE SCROLL DOWN AND HIT THE STOP BUTTON ON THE PLAYLIST! ENJOY YOUR VISIT!