.

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Day 2 at the Maison et Objet show......

First off.....I have been a slacker, after the second day at the show I got tired and could not commit to a blog entry. Truth be told, I was submitting information to Bridget Otto at the Oregonian about what I was seeing at the show and that kept me busy. Then, I had to get ready to head off to Amsterdam with the lovely Miss Cindy. It was a blast - she took me out for bday drinks at the College Hotel - so swank - such great Dutch design.
Before I forget, on our last night in Paris, we had the loveliest evening - the weather was perfectly mild - we had dinner at the place "to be seen" Cafe Marly - overlooking the Louvre - so damn cool - sitting outside - the Louvre in front of you, Napoleon's apartments above you - the sunset.......
Anyhoo........ I am now back in Portland and getting ready for the DIGS "please make it go away" sale from the 12-20 at my shop. Everything is 50% off. Seriously.
All right then......here is what I had from the show...I will add photos later, when I actually get around to taking them off my hone and camera. Ok...so we are out of the outdoor section and have moved to the indoor stuff. Dear God! There is just so much stuff! There is an ethnic section, home textiles, table top, furniture, home accessories, holiday and kids. YIKES! As we wandered in and out of different showrooms in different sections, there were a few commonalities that stuck out. It seems that there are three distinct style directions going on at the moment. The first one is a very organic look. Lots of wood in natural tones as well as natural fibers, wool, cashmere, leather. There was also alot of wicker in modern shapes and very organic cane colors. The look is very rustic, but still very fine. Kind of Gustavian, kind of Dutch/Belgian beach house, kind of Ralph Lauren-ish. For example, a louis 15th dining chair in a cerused and greyed out wood with a chunky linen seat and a huge distressed leather chesterfield sofa ala Ralph Lauren. Did I mention that chesterfields are huge trend?
Then is the modern slick and smooth....lots of lacquered surfaces. Black, white and reds. Acrylic chairs, chrome , Italian modern.
Third is my personal favorite which is more in the steampunk style. Lots of metal. tables, chairs, beds. Lots, of rivets. Wheels on tables. Semi-Gothic, semi-Victorian, industrial revolution-ish. Looks great with the Belgian beach-house style. Actually, if done well, all of these styles can look great together.
Before, I forget....my color predictions for interiors next year are navy blue and taupe (mushroom-ish). Let's just wait and see what happens....
Ok....gotta run, more later~ must take the Stella to doggy daycare. All hail doggy daycare.



No comments:

Post a Comment

IF YOU WOULD PREFER TO NOT HAVE MUSIC PLAY DURING YOUR VISIT, PLEASE SCROLL DOWN AND HIT THE STOP BUTTON ON THE PLAYLIST! ENJOY YOUR VISIT!