.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

...it's about time!



I have had such a great few weeks! Some many wonderful things have happened! For starters, one of my best friends had a new baby boy.....Congratulations Hester and welcome Caio! My puppy Stella finally got the cone off her head. YIPPEE! She really is such a great dog....it was just a pity that she kept trying to play with the cats.......noting quite like an eyeball injury to quickly run up a vet bill!
I was also lucky enough to attend a fab and inspiring lecture by Eric Cohler at the Kravet Showroom. Eric Cohler is on the very short list of my favorite designers. This is the third time I have heard him speak and I am always struck by the way he takes history and makes it fresh again, mixes the very old and/or historic with the very new. Not only can he visually make that happen but he can also tell you in detail about the history itself. He just gets it. During his slide presentation he was able to show us how he looks at something historical and translates it into his designs, either in a piece of furniture or the look of a room or even in the inspiration from a painting. You should Google him and check out some of his work...like the Kipps Bay Show House..YUMMY! He is so well traveled, education an amazing power of observation. It was actually quite validating for me. I have always needed to get out of my own environment to just go and stare at things. I love the history of things and places and have a weird ability to remember crazy historical details and sometimes I feel like a total geek because of it....so it is nice to know that there are others. We also learned that Eric Cohler's grandmother was a friend of Lucille Ball's and because of his deep rooted love for all things Lucy, he helped with the design of the new Luci & Desi museum in Jamestown, NY. When I was growing up, we lived for 2 years in the Middle East, Jordan to be specific and there were only 2 English shows on TV..one happened to be I LOVE LUCY and the other one was some weird English sci-fi thing. I still love Lucy to this day! Thanks Eric!
I have so much to tell about what has been happening at the shop, new products, etc, but DUDE I am seriously tired and I need to finish watching Bride & Prejudice for the millionth time. I do love Jane & Austen & Bollywood..........more later!

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I love lucy used to be the only english show in Iran also when I was growing up;-) My mom used to make us watch it so we would learn english;-)

    ReplyDelete

IF YOU WOULD PREFER TO NOT HAVE MUSIC PLAY DURING YOUR VISIT, PLEASE SCROLL DOWN AND HIT THE STOP BUTTON ON THE PLAYLIST! ENJOY YOUR VISIT!